As we inch toward the end of the year and tax season, I’m thrilled to be sharing this guest post from my friend, Hannah Steiner of On Point Bookkeeping. Tax time and day-to-day bookkeeping doesn’t have to be stressful if you hire a professional who is on the same page as you are with your business goals and processes. I hope the below is helpful for you friends! Cheers!
-Sarah Chancey, Chancey Charm
Photo: Horn Photography & Design
Bookkeeping For Creatives and Wedding Pros
Let me just start out by saying how much I love the wedding industry! Who doesn’t like being a part of a couple’s special day that they will remember forever? What’s better is being able to assist those who work with the brides and grooms doing what I love to do, bookkeeping! I don’t see you just as a business owner or entrepreneur, but also as a person. Just as you serve your clients to make their day seamless, I like doing the same for you. Helping you understand what your numbers mean is a valuable and beneficial tool when used correctly. Do you know how much you are making in profits after an event? Are you being able to budget for the future? Do you want to grow your business and make more money? These are just a few answers you will get with your financial statements each month! As a business owner, it is crucial you are proactive rather than reactive with your finances.
Have you found yourself all of a sudden in the middle of the season and finding that your books have been put on the back burner?
Imagine not struggling at tax time wondering if you have everything you need! Balanced books are pretty books. It may be time to think of having a bookkeeper if:
- You haven’t been doing your books and don’t know where to start.
- You’re not sure how to do it in general.
- You don’t have the funds to hire a CPA.
- You want to understand your business finances.
- You’re too busy.
- You find it boring and want to focus more on what you love doing.
So, how will a bookkeeper help me with my business needs?
- They will help set up your business and chart of accounts in the bookkeeping software. My personal favorite software is Xero! It is constantly up to date and takes the modern approach to today’s bookkeeping. Xero makes it easy for you to upload your receipts to your account and sign off on bills due just to name a couple features.
- Your bookkeeper can keep track of the deposits that have been paid and other money that is due to you.
- Reconciling your bank accounts and providing financial statements will be done each month for you. In my business, each month I will Skype or talk on the phone (which ever you prefer) to go over your monthly statements so you know how you are doing in terms of your finances and explain your numbers in the different categories listed.
- Help get your books up-to-date. Hopefully you aren’t buried in a shoe box of receipts, but if you are, don’t worry! That’s what us bookkeepers are here for.
- Be there for you to answer your questions.
- I personally provide my services as a month-to-month basis instead of yucky contracts. I know that being in this industry has its busy season and you may not need bookkeeping year-round.
Remember back to why you started your business and the love you have for your profession. It’s awesome you have come this far and it’s the best feeling to watch it grow! It’s not a job if you get to wake up and do what you love every day!
Best of luck to you!
– Hannah Steiner, On Point Bookkeeping