My family loves to eat salsa & chips and anything meal related to Mexican food. However, the healthiness of that type of food is not very good. So, when my family had to make a change for the better in terms of eating earlier this year, we tried out some new recipes. One of those recipes was a Black Bean Salad with Corn and Red Peppers, and this is a fabulous dish for a bride and groom looking to get on a healthy-eating regimen for their wedding day. To make it a meal, we started making a delicious chicken and rice bowl to accompany it.
BLACK BEAN SALAD WITH CORN AND RED PEPPERS
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut off
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- green onion, chopped (as much as desired)
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Lime zest (as desired)
- Mix everything to together in a large bowl.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to let the cilantro taste settle into the other ingredients.
- Serve cold.
Serves 6-8 people.
CHICKEN AND RICE BOWL
- Yellow rice (can switch this up if you desire)
- Grilled chicken
- Some of the Black Bean Salad
- Cook rice according to directions
- Grill chicken
- Place rice in bottom of bowl
- Place grilled chicken on top with the Black Bean Salad added as desired
- Make it your own by adding any other ingredients you wish
Serve and enjoy!
P.S. Add a little avocado to the Black Bean Salad and your family will be asking for seconds.
(All photos provided by Alexis Hardman of Chancey Charm)