When planning a summer wedding, there are some important things to keep in mind. For example, beware of clear top tents! While they do give a dreamy view of the stars once the sun goes down, before the sunset, it creates a greenhouse-like effect that heats up the space. Be sure to plan on renting fans and perhaps even misters if you’re in love with the “open air” look. We’re sharing even more summer wedding tips and considerations below. Cheers friends!
-The Chancey Charm Team
- Summer wedding ceremony spots that are not in the shade. Keep in mind your guests will be sitting (or standing) during your ceremony, so even if you and your husband-to-be are under cover, please consider your guests. Offer umbrellas and cold beverages to make them comfortable!
- Be sure that you – and your bridal party – stay hydrated. The summer sun is going to drain your body’s water supply fast. Avoid fatigue, headaches, and heat stroke by making sure you’re downing plenty of water.
- Don’t forget about those afternoon showers. Summer is notorious for little pop-up storms that could threaten to rain on your parade. Work with your planner to prepare a rain plan for all outdoor activities so that you and your guests aren’t caught by surprise.
- Choosing a bridesmaid dress color that shows sweat! No bridesmaid wants their sweat to show through their dress. Be cautious of this when picking out a color for your summer wedding. Even if the dress doesn’t have sleeves, sweat stains can still show through!
- Holiday weekends and summer travel can really book up your hotels. Make sure you call well in advance to book your hotel blocks so that soccer tournament or Labor Day travelers don’t snatch rooms before your guests can.
- If you’re planning an outdoor summer wedding make sure you have some bug spray for guests! If your venue doesn’t already spray for bugs, the mosquitos and other flying pests can really make for an uncomfortable event. Fill your bathroom hospitality baskets with anti-itch medicines and more bug sprays so guests can easily reapply if needed.
- Your dream wedding cake may be beautiful buttercream covered perfection but that cake will melt fast if placed outside. Chat with your cake baker about other options like a faux cake for displaying and cutting with the cake for serving cut from sheets in the kitchen or other frosting techniques that mimic the look of buttercream but may outlast the heat better. You don’t want all that money (and deliciousness) to melt away!
- Selecting a heavy gown. If you are a summer bride, most likely you are shopping for your dress in the fall or winter prior. Don’t let yourself forget that the temperature on your wedding day will not be nearly the same as it is when you say Yes to the dress! Seriously consider the weight of the gown and if you are up to it, select a gown with a detachable skirt or even consider a second lighter option to change in to for the reception.